Wild Tour of South Portal Cave
Experience a cave as a true caver! The South Portal Walking Flashlight Tour will take you deep into South Portal cave, the most recently discovered cave in Crystal Cave Park. This tour will take you to a cave where few people have gone before, lit only by our caving headlamps.
On this 1.5-hour walking tour, you will learn about caving safety and exploration. We will spend about 45 minutes in the cave and 45 minutes split between preparation and travel to the entrance of the cave. You'll learn what guides and cavers bring with them on long adventures, and you'll get a chance to trek into a wild cave with all the proper caving equipment: helmet, lights, and boots. The tour includes a short hike through the woods and down into the gorge where South Portal is found. We provide the helmets, lights, and boots for everyone exploring South Portal.
South Portal Walking Flashlight Tour is available to visitors age 14 and up. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are necessary for this tour, and there is a maximum of 6 people per tour. We recommend you prepare by bringing a light sweater or jacket (50F, 10C in the cave) and socks to wear inside of the boots provided. If you're excited about adventure, and you're okay with tight spaces and dark caves, then this tour may be right for you!
The unimproved trail to and from South Portal Cave is rated as moderate/strenous. South Portal Cave is a smaller cave on the Crystal Cave Property. The passages are slightly smaller than Crystal Cave and there are no large rooms in South Portal. There are no lights nor is the path in the cave improved. A liability waiver must be signed and you must be OK with tight spaces, hiking in the woods, and be physically fit. We reserve the right to remove you from the tour and refund your admission fee for any reason.
South Portal Flashlight Tour Details
- 29.98 per person, includes all equipment fees
- Maximum of 6 people
- Guests must be 14 years old or older
- Must be in good physical shape and a liability waiver must be signed
- Any guests under 18 years old must have an adult with them
- Reservations are required, payment in full required when making a reservation
- Offered at 3pm rain or shine, approx 1.5 hrs in length with 45min in cave.
- Mud Boots
- Light sweatshirt or jacket (Cave is 50F, 10C)
- Rain gear if chance of rain, there is a short hike to the cave.
- Clean socks
- Camera (optional)
- Check in at gift shop at least 15min before tour.
Reservations - Please call us at (715)778-4414
• More than 2 weeks before your scheduled event = full refund
• Under 2 weeks but more than 48 hours = reschedule during the same year and transfer the payment to new date
• Under 48 hours = no refund or rescheduling